Wednesday, March 04, 2009

Chun Li




Chun Li

by Yuli Flestado


Whew. I just can’t believe I watched a movie for three times in one day.


The Street Fighter: the Legend of Chun Li opens with the lead character narrating her prime years with her father teaching her how to play piano and later on the art of Wushu. On night, her home was attacked by Bison and his men taking away her father.


Years later, Chun Li who was called as the school girl by Bison has grown up. As her mother died due to cancer, she travels to Bangkok, Thailand to search for her father and to scribble her own legend.


I am not quite pleased with the style of transition used for this movie. At times fade was used but there were a lot of times the transition was too quick which make it difficult for the viewers’ eyes to follow. I think what made it destructing to see was the setting per se, When Chun Li is at the street, and there are a lot of colors that deviate the attention from the subject of the picture to the background. I remember when I had my seminar on photography discussing about aperture. With instances like day street scenes, I think I’ll be better to use portrait instead of landscape, just to emphasize the subject. On the side of the coin, it caters us new flavor of cinematography that we may get used to and like it… or not.


Also, I noticed that when there’s a close shot, the cut on the top is at the forehead and not above the head. So I guess I’ll be using that technique for a while. It looks better that taking a portrait with the whole head in the picture.


I was a faithful viewer of Smallville for two seasons. To critically assess Kristin Kreuk’s acting ability (with no biases), I think she moves too slow on enhancing her acting skills. Her Lana Lang facial expressions are still there which makes me forget at times if I am watching Chun Li or Clark Kent’s high school lover. Her martial arts skills were very impressive. I thought she’ll be too soft for the character, just basing on her body built. I’ve heard she used to enroll in a gymnast class and I believe that’s why she looks so fine gently moving her hands as she breathes. Her fighting skills are impressive too, I never seen a scene of hesitancy.


While almost done watching the movie, I hear some sobs at my side. My friend Gang was dropping her tears. No! It’s certainly not because of the movie. She said she’s suffering separation anxiety. You see, she’s been my classmate and friend for almost four years, whole years in College! Hey friends! are you feeling it too? Okay, I know it’s a different story.


To wrap this entry, may we all stand up in time when there's difficulty in standing. Broad? To simplify, just do your thing and kick some ass!

2 Violent Comments:

-ellesig- said...

why not an asian actress? when did this movie came out?

thank you for dropping by my blog. hope we can exchange links! :)

pacu said...

technically Kreuk is an asian, Chinese i think. what i like about her is that she's very vocal on her enthusiasm to know her roots.

this movie was released mid February. :)

Post a Comment

type what's on your mind. asserting is not a crime! :)